OK, the bartender just did the bouncer part of his job.
I’ve been slack on a number of things lately, and one of them is tossing out unruly patrons. We just had yet another barroom brawl, and this time I didn’t just shake my head and keep cleaning the glasses. I went into this post and reduced the comments from 26 to 9. I cut out ALL the subsequent comments from offenders, not just their worst infractions.
Here are some excerpts from the rantings of the people I tossed out through the swinging doors and into the dusty street:
- "Really, are you the stupidest person in the world?" (Guess who?)
- "Your comments demonstrate complete and utter intellectual impotence."
- "If they make ethical Viagra, consider speaking to your doctor."
- "Mary, go change your feminine hygiene pad and leave the war strategy to men."
- "The mad dog wingnuts were dangerous enough before they were cornered by their blind ideology and incompetency."
Admittedly, that last one is on the cusp of acceptability, but I had already let him get away with a bunch of stuff that was teetering right on the edge. When you’re breaking up a brawl, you have to throw out some of those who are merely egging the fighters on, and he had just said "mad dog wingnuts" once too often.
Y’all come back now, y’hear — after you’ve sobered up enough to engage in a rational, civil conversation. Argue all you like — but exhibit a modicum of respect for those who disagree.