Your top stories at this hour:
- Panel Sharply Raises Estimate of Oil Spilling Into the Gulf (NYT) — Remember how they were saying it was like an Exxon Valdez every week? Now it’s more like every four days. Interesting, and important, but weak as a lede.
- Obama to Call for Broad Energy Action (WSJ) — From the Oval Office tonight. If only it had happened already, THIS would be my lede.
- McMaster endorses Haley (thestate.com) — Thereby showing that of all of them, Henry McMaster is the real Republican in this race, the True Believer in Reagan’s 11th Commandment. Party solidarity uber alles.
- Petraeus Faints During Hearing (WashPost) — But he seems to be OK now.
- U.S. Man Arrested for ‘Hunting’ Bin Laden (WSJ) — American construction worker arrested in northwestern Pakistan “with a sword, a pistol and night-vision goggles.” Which is a shame, because this dude was obviously ready.
- AT&T, Apple Struggle to Handle iPhone Orders (WSJ) — So evidently, the economy’s not hurting TOO badly…