Here are some quick headlines:
- With China in mind, Obama sends in the Marines (WashPost) — To Australia, that is. Last time we sent them there, it was to counter the Japanese. Now, it’s China. This is why I increasingly like Obama, who just quietly and without fuss constantly projects U.S. power far more aggressively that W. ever did. A cool customer. Gung ho, Mr. President. Interesting move. Bears watching.
- Suspect is charged with trying to kill Obama (WashPost) — One thing the world will never stop doing, apparently, is churning out dangerous nutjobs. He had driven with a rifle all the way from Idaho in a Honda to kill “the Antichrist.”
- Mass arrests at Occupy protests (BBC) — That’s the national story. Locally, the 19 Occupy Columbia protesters arrested last night were released from the Richland County jail.
- Late Slide Hits Stocks (WSJ) — More European worries, and lack of confidence in deficit negotiators.
- Haley calls Citadel response to ReVille complaint ‘unacceptable’ (Post & Courier) — The gov weighs in on child molestation scandal.
- Pakistan ambassador offers to resign (The Guardian) — The furor was over “claims that he crafted an offer to US officials to rein in the Pakistani military and intelligence agency in the wake of Osama bin Laden‘s death.” Sounds like the kind of guy it would be good to keep around.