Your first front of the year, and first on the latest blog format:
- Dow Notches Best Day in Over a Year (WSJ) — Note to all the self-described “conservatives” on the SC delegation who voted against the “cliff” deal: Love it or hate it, said deal was the best thing Wall Street has seen come out of Washington in a long time. Think about it.
- G.O.P. Spoils for a Debt Fight Obama Wants to Sidestep (NYT) — The biggest flaw in the deal, of course, was that we still have to have this fight — next month.
- Syria unrest ‘has killed 60,000′ (BBC) — That’s according to the U.N. human rights commissioner. Just today, dozens were killed in explosions around Damascus.
- Gov. Christie lambastes ‘toxic’ House Republicans over Sandy aid delay (WashPost) — First he gushes praise for Obama. Now this. Christie doesn’t care whom he ticks off, when the welfare of New Jersey is at stake…
- Special election for Scott’s seat set (AP) — This is sort of turn-of-the-screw stuff, but it was the only thing local that seemed front-worthy. I thought it more significant than lurid crime news, or the fact that Nikki Haley’s husband is headed for Afghanistan.
- Patti Page, Honey-Voiced ’50s Pop Sensation, Dies (NYT) — The NYT was the only one of my regular sources playing this up, but I decided to include it, for my more mature readers…