Thursday Music Discussion Group

We’ve had a reference to some old-boomer music, and we occasionally have a reference to Phillip’s musical talent. Accordingly, I thought I’d give y’all a chance to talk about the music that you’re listening to (or playing) now.

Currently, I’m preparing for a contested motion hearing, so I’ve got Holst’s “The Planets” on in the background here at the office as I go over my final points.

What is everyone else listening to these days?

22 thoughts on “Thursday Music Discussion Group

1. Kathryn Fenner

The Planets is a good choice. A Beethoven Symphony–the Fifth, perhaps?–would also be excellent.
    I have been streaming Pandora through a bluetooth speaker. My favorite channels are a Baroque chamber music one, a Bill Evans one and a Vince Guaraldi one. My husband likes an Ockeghem one–very early choral music. I also have been chilling to some lute CDs a friend shared.
    I’m weird.
    I’m working on a Bach English Suite, a Mendelssohn Song Without Words and a Beethoven Sonata on piano, fwiw.

2. Margaret Pridgen (Maggie)

Wow! This is spooky. Reading on a rainy day and had just set up my Pandora account when I scooted over here and got some great recommendations. I love the Holst, especially the tune which also occurs the hymns “I Vow to The My Country” and “O God beyond all praising.” And Vince Guaraldi! Thanks!

3. M.Prince

Listened to recently:

Lucinda Williams “Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone”
    “Interstellar” (soundtrack, Hans Zimmer)
    Sigur Rós (Icelandic post-rock)
    Árstíthir (Icelandic neo-folk)
    Loudon Wainwright III “Haven’t Got the Blues (Yet)”
    Gov’t Mule “Dark Side of the Mule”
    Sturgill Simpson “Hightop Mtn”
    Franz Liszt var. piano pieces
    Josquin des Prés var. choral works

4. Juan Caruso

Never bothered to listen to Holst until now. The opening score of “Planets” reminded me of Wagner and was eerily reminiscent of Klaus Doldinger’s “Das Boot” soundtrack. So, I investigated.

According to WRTI (Philly) host Kile Smith, Holst’s “‘The Planets’ was based on astrological signs, which fascinated Holst, and not on the astronomical planets, which explains why Earth does not appear.”

Although I personally do subscribe to zodiacal stuff, your choice of “Planets” as background music for final preparations in “a contested motion hearing”, suggests your sign (according to one “Divine Caroline”) is likely to be Taurus or Scorpio.

Does that explain anything to you, B.C.?

1. Juan Caruso

Deserved comment, as cataracts are playing havoc. Accustomed to better than 20/20 vision in both eyes — now, neither.

Just checked, Doug, and Gemini is not even close to my sign.

1. Doug Ross

Hey, that might be a good post, Bryan. Post your Zodiac sign and see if you match the traits. I’m an Aries.. I think I fit this description pretty well, especially the last sentence.

“Aries in a Nutshell:

Aries is the first of the zodiac signs. Aries is the sign of the self, people born under this sign strongly project their personalities onto others and can be very self-oriented. Aries tend to venture out into the world and leave impressions on others that they are exciting, vibrant and talkative. Aries tend to live adventurous lives and like to be the center of attention, but rightly so since they are natural, confident leaders. Aries are enthusiastic about their goals and enjoy the thrill of the hunt, “wanting is always better then getting” is a good way to sum it up. Aries are very impulsive and usually do not think before they act – or speak. Too often Aries will say whatever pops into their head and usually end up regretting it later! “

1. Norm Ivey

Me, too. My mother went through a curiosity-driven astrological phase back in the 70s–worked up full reports on all of us. It was interesting, but I realized that when I read personality descriptions of the other signs there was enough in each of them to describe something about me.

2. Kathryn Fenner

Me, too. 1/11. This is more than the odds would predict for regular commenters on the blog to have the same birthday.

5. susanincola

I like y’all’s music. I’m listening to Oscar Peterson, Night Train. Also listening to a Rhapsody station called Jubilee, which is all black gospel. So far today, at least….

1. Kathryn Fenner

Miles is good, too–at least until he got all weird in the late 60s. Kind of Blue, though–awesome!

6. Norm Ivey

Y’all are all so refined. I’ve been streaming my Joe Walsh playlist on Rhapsody. I guess I’m just an ordinary average guy.

7. scout

No not that one, actually, Blackbird Chain on Beck’s latest album is really impressing me though. It seems to be an homage to the Beatles with many varied references both musical and lyrical that are impressive but still retains its own identity and works on its own. It’s cool.