I already knew thanks to Facebook that today was the birthday of two blog stars, Bryan Caskey and Kathryn Fenner.
Then Bryan told us it’s Alexander Hamilton’s special day, as well. (We know what his birthday was; it’s the year that’s in doubt.) You know, the Broadway star.
I thought I’d do a post about ALL the distinguished people born on this day, but when I Googled it, I got this ridiculous site that listed Hamilton, and a bunch of people I’ve never heard of. See the sample above. I had been hoping for famous people. Was that list put together by a bot from Teen Beat?
Wikipedia took the question more seriously, and yielded up:
- 347 – Theodosius I, Roman emperor (d. 395)
- 1755 – Alexander Hamilton, Nevisian-American general, economist and politician, 1st United States Secretary of the Treasury (d. 1804)
- 1842 – William James, American psychologist and philosopher (d. 1910)
- 1897 – Bernard DeVoto, American historian and author (d. 1955)
- 1924 – Slim Harpo, American blues singer-songwriter and musician (d. 1970)
- 1925 – Grant Tinker, American television producer, co-founded MTM Enterprises (d. 2016)
- 1930 – Rod Taylor, Australian-American actor and screenwriter (d. 2015)
- 1942 – Clarence Clemons, American saxophonist and actor (d. 2011)
Now, see, that’s some distinguished company! A Roman emperor — well, you can’t say fairer than that! And I honor DeVoto as editor of Mark Twain’s papers. And who is cooler than Clarence Clemons?
In any case, happy birthday to all, especially Kathryn and Bryan. I give you joy.
Oh, and a special blog welcome to Colton, Bud’s 6th grandchild!